Tuesday, January 16, 2024 Minutes
Welcome/Pledge of Allegiance
The meeting was called to order by President Mitchum at 7:10 pm.
Present (physical): Shane Mitchum, President; Patrick Cartwright, Vice President; Colin Strainge, Trustee; Meghan Johnston, Trustee; Melissa Tacke, Library Director
Present (virtual): Alyssa Mitchum, Treasurer
Excused: Laurie Knaack, Secretary
Adoption of Agenda
The adoption of the agenda was motioned by Trustee Strainge and seconded by Trustee Cartwright. Unanimously approved.
Slate of officers for 2024: All current officers agreed to continue in their roles and will be part of the 2024 slate.
Hire of Librarian I for Programming and Outreach: The resume for a candidate for the new full-time Librarian I position was circulated with the board. The candidate brings very positive references and a background in elementary education and library science. A motion to approve the hire and salary for the position of Librarian I was made by Trustee Strainge. Seconded by Trustee Cartwright. Unanimously approved.
2023 Annual Report to the Community: Director Tacke shared the Annual Report. Trustees discussed and found the format to be clear and concise, giving a good overall picture of the Library’s accomplishments throughout the year. Trustee Cartwright suggested that the significant increases in several of the areas in the report between 2022-23 be specified where possible.
Board self-evaluation: President Mitchum reviewed the main themes from evaluations, which included:
● continuing the need to fully represent and respond to diversity in our community, establishing tangible goals for committees to increase momentum
● the need for continued outreach and ongoing attention to maximizing library space
● improving the pipeline for potential board members, and
● updating the Library’s mission statement.
Director evaluation: President Mitchum noted that Trustee responses were overwhelmingly positive. President Mitchum will meet with Director Tacke to review evaluations soon.
Trustee recruitment: One Board seat is currently vacant. President Mitchum and Director Tacke will follow up with a community member who expressed preliminary interest.
Follow-up on Racial Equity Training: The board discussed suggestions for further follow-up:
● consider a student representative from Maple Hill High School, checking with UHLS about precedent and possible bylaw language to describe such a role
● assign appropriate follow-up items from the Racial Equity training to committees
● consider participating in UHLS’ Equity Challenge, starting up in April
● update the Library mission and consider crafting a values statement to reflect the Board’s intention to recognize, include and promote equity and diversity in governance, management and programming
● add language to Library policies that expresses our intention regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion
Library word-of-mouth advertising: Director Tacke shared the February calendar and asked Trustees to particularly share planned February vacation week activities with community members.
No additional report.
No report (secretary absent). Trustee Cartwright motioned to approve the December 2023 meeting minutes. Seconded by Trustee Strainge. Unanimously approved.
Trustee Cartwright motioned to approve the December 2023 Check Detail Reports. Seconded by Trustee Strainge. Unanimously approved.
Director Tacke presented statistics for library use through 2023, noting several trends:
● visits and outreach are up
● cardholder numbers are slightly down after the artificial bump that followed the pandemic
● physical circulation and eContent continue to increase
● program attendance shows a big increase, reflecting a busy summer program.
The Friends of the Library are scheduled to meet January 17 to set their fundraising calendar for 2024.
Village of Castleton Liaison Report
All committees did not meet in January, and report plans to meet in February to establish goals for 2024.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:49 pm.