- Janet Hiser, Olivia Karis-Nix, Don McKnight, Faith Schottenfeld, Doreen Truesdell
- There were no changes to the proposed meeting agenda.
- There were no members of the public attending the meeting.
- President Schottenfeld notified the board of the immediate resignation of Secretary Stacey Rattner. She also reiterated the need to recruit new board members. Various recruiting strategies were discussed. She re-capped a meeting with the Schodack Town Supervisor, board members Karis-Nix, Schottenfeld, and Director Peker.
- Trustee Hiser motioned to adopt the December minutes with no changes. Trustee Truesdell seconded. Approved 5-0.
- See attached as enclosure (1)
- There was no report from the Friends of the Castleton Library.
- Administrative Committee- President Schottenfeld collected all evaluation inputs from the board membership.
- Finance Committee/Treasurer’s Report— Treasurer Hiser reviewed the attached Treasurer’s report, enclosure (2) . A motion was made by Treasurer Hiser and seconded by Trustee Truesdell to adopt a policy to routinely review the check detail list. Approved 5-0. Treasurer Hiser submitted a detail list of checks and debits for the previous month for approval by the board. A motion to approve the attached list of checks and debits was made by Treasurer Hiser and seconded by President Schottenfeld. Approved 5-0. Treasurer Hiser discussed a set of new Financial Policies for CPL. A copy of which is attached as enclosure (3). Vice President McKnight motioned to adopt the new set of financial policies and was seconded by Trustee Karis-Nix. Approved 5-0. Treasurer Hiser discussed a new Code of Ethics form to signed by each board member. Approval of the form was tabled until the February board meeting. Treasurer Hiser made a report on the annual Financial Review by Bill Adams. A copy of the report is attached as enclosure (4).
- Operations/Capital Projects— Trustee Truesdell reported that the committee had reached out to the building inspector (Ben) to discuss the inadequacies of his initial inspection report. As of this time there has not been a resolution. Director Peker reported that she had been encouraged by members of the Village board to engage with Ben to gather whatever information is needed. The design firm was notified of the delays and still considers the CPL to be a customer.
- Strategic Planning— Vice President McKnight noted that since the results of the survey were compiled in December, he has taken little action in the next steps of the strategic planning process. Expressing concern for how to go forward, he asked for suggestions on how to make the focus group process work. President Schottenfeld proposed that each board member submit focus group questions to Vice President McKnight by 31 January 2014. In the mean time, Director Peker will contact Upper Hudson Library System to identify a potential focus group facilitator. The board will discuss focus group budgeting at the February board meeting.
- Village Financial Partnerships- This was declared a dead issue by Treasurer Hiser.
- School Board Feasibility Study—The board received a report from the special subcommittee dealing with the proposal by members of the Schodack Central School Board for a dual-use library. A copy of the subcommittee report is attached as enclosure (5), which recommends that the library board not participate in a proposed feasibility study. The library board accepts the subcommittee recommendation to not participate in the feasibility study at this time.
- Election of New Officers – A motion was made by President Schottenfeld and seconded by Vice President McKnight to elect the following slate of officers for 2014: Olivia Karis-Nix, President Doreen Truesdell, Vice President Janet Hiser, Treasurer Vacant, Secretary. Approved 5-0.
- 2014 Meeting Dates – February 10, March 17, April 21, May 19, June 16, July 21, September 15, October 20, December 15
- Hartford Insurance Renewal – Director Peker notified the board that the Hartford Insurance policy was due for renewal. The policy charges increased by $122 from last year, to a totatl of $1016. A motion was made to pay these fees by Treasurer Hiser and seconded by Trustee Karis-Nix. Approved 5-0.
The next Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 10 at 1900.
(1) Director’s Report
(2) Treasurer Report, including check detail
(3) Financial Policies
(4) Financial Review Report
(5) CPL Subcommittee Report on SCS Proposal for a Dual-Use Library