Trustees Present: Janet Hiser, Olivia Karis Nix, Faith Schottenfeld
Note: Three Trustees are insufficient for quorum; thus no votes were taken.
Adoption of Agenda: no vote.
- Ryan Mullahy introduced himself as a Town of Schodack resident interested in joining the Board of Trustees. His family has deep roots in the area and he has a strong commitment to libraries.
- Director Peker and Trustee Truesdell attended the collaborative meeting with the East Greenbush and Nassau libraries and Schodack Town Supervisor.
- President Karis-Nix would like Brad or a Trustee familiar with the renovation project to present to the Village Board at their May meeting on the status of the project.
- Trustees should review the Table of Contents for their binders.
- The Committee lists need to be updated.
Director’s Report: see attached as enclosure.
- The collaborative meeting mentioned by President Karis-Nix went well. Supervisor Dowds indicated that he would like the focus to be on Southern Rensselaer County rather than just Schodack. Director Peker and Director Neale (East Greenbush) will introduce this concept at the next meeting of Rensselaer County library directors in May. It is expected that interested libraries (of which Castleton is one) will hire a consultant to help advance the collaboration and explore the best approach to provide efficient services and gain long term fiscal security.
- A head count is needed this week for the Cinco de Mayo event and they hope to see more community folks attending.
- The Friday movie is “Nut Job.”
- The coloring book featuring historic Castleton buildings built before 1900 is almost completed and will be about 25 pages. They will sell for $5.00.
- The May meeting of the Friends has been moved to the 20th.
- Administrative Committee: Nothing to report.
- Finance Committee/Treasurer’s Report: see attached as enclosures. No votes.
- Operations/Capital projects: Awaiting quotes for painting, flooring and other remaining project areas. Director Peker reported that the Village is asking for proposals for the now vacant space formerly occupied by the Village court on the main floor. The Village would like to see this used as “communal space.” The director says the library staff could offer to manage reservations for the space. The benefits for the library would be that we would be able to be offer public access meeting space, compliant for those with disabilities, for events such as movie nights and Board meetings. The Board asked the Director to explore whether the Village had any plans to paint, pull up carpet, furnish or otherwise renovate the space for community use.
- The Board was reminded of the revised Code of Ethics and Bylaw amendments that will be up for a vote.
- Comments to the strategic plan were briefly discussed. Trustee Karis-Nix will ask Trustee McKnight to combine comments for the next Board meeting.
- President Karis-Nix expressed her interest in pursuing a logo for the library. Trustees and the Director provided a brief review of what had been considered at earlier times. It was determined that the logo would be revisited as part of strategic planning, as there may be some direction suggested by that process.
Public Comment: None
Executive Session: None
Meeting adjourned at 8PM. Next meeting is May 19, 2014.