Meeting was called to order at 1930 by President Karis-Nix
Trustees present: Janet Hiser, Olivia Karis-Nix, Don McKnight, Faith Schottenfeld, Doreen Truesdell
Adoption of Agenda:
Two corrections were made to the agenda. They were:
- Discussion of a flyer soliciting interest for new trustees
- Website launch date.
- President Karis-Nix discussed efforts to recruit new board trustees, including announcements in The Advertiser and The Castletonian. To date, there have been no responses.
- Updates to the trustee recruiting flyer were discussed.
- A collaborative meeting between representatives from Castleton Public Library, East Greenbush Library, and Nassau Library was held on 18 March 2014. Some of the issues discussed included sustainable library funding for the future. The participants discussed inviting Schodack Town Supervisor, Dennis Dowds to a meeting to get a sense of his support for the hiring of a library consultant that could assess library service in the town. A meeting is set for 9 April at the East Greenbush library.
- The February meeting minutes were adopted with no changes. Approved 5-0.
- The new website is expected to go live on or about 6-7 April 2014.
- A proposal to be submitted by Pam Smith (Village of Castleton Treasurer) to the village board regarding the signing of payroll checks. Approved 5-0
- Approval of the Annual Report. Approved 5-0
Notified the board of upcoming plans. They include:
- A Cinco de Mayo celebration (flyer attached).
- A coloring book fundraiser.
- 2014 Music on the Lawn plans are being coordinated with Schodack Island State Park, and will take place at that location.
- Administrative Committee- Nothing to report.
- Finance Committee/Treasurer’s Report— Treasurer Hiser reviewed the attached Treasurer’s report. Treasurer Hiser submitted a detail list of checks and debits for the previous month for approval by the board. A motion to approve the attached list of checks and debits was made and approved 5-0.
- Operations/Capital Projects Committee-The project to renovate the library should move forward, and get Village Board review of the proposal. Certain anticipated costs need to be brought up to date, before final approval of the project can be made.
- Code of Ethics- The draft Code of Ethics was reviewed. Some minor editing must be completed for it can be approved.
- Strategic Planning- A draft strategic plan was shared. Additional input is sought regarding a third goal on Improvement of Services, along with associated objectives. Trustees were requested to provide their inputs prior to the next board meeting.
- Charter Amendment- A resolution was passed by the board to request the Board of Regents to amend the charter of the Castleton Public Library. Specifically, the amendment would change the trustee term of service from seven to three years. It would also designate the service area as coterminous with the Village of Castleton on Hudson. This resolution was passed 5-0.
- Vice-president Truesdell mentioned the Rensselaer County Chamber of Commerce 2014 Leadership Institute program. The year-long training costs $2600.
- The board entered Executive Session at 2042 for matters relating to personnel.
Meeting adjourned at 2105. Next meeting is scheduled for 21April 2014.