- Preparing library materials for circulation, including cataloging library materials.
- Coordinating and conducting long-term digitization project, including overseeing project volunteers.
- Preparing, conducting, and assisting with programming for children and adults.
- Assisting with collection management, including inventory, weeding, and ordering.
- Assisting with marketing, including online calendar entry, social media posting, and the creation of flyers and brochures.
- Providing basic reference service and basic technology training to library patrons, including assistance with public computers.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree; or
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s Degree and two (2) years of library experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in an automated library environment.
Pay Rate: $17.50 per hour.
Schedule: 12 hours per week. Specifics of schedule will be discussed during interview process.
How to Apply:
Send a letter of interest and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to Castleton Public Library, 85 S. Main Street, Castleton, NY 12033, Attn: Melissa Tacke. Applications must be received by Monday, March 28.
Rensselaer County Civil Service Commission Official Job Specifications:
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The work involves the responsibility for learning and performing various library functions and services at a para-professional level in a Public Library. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Librarian or Library Director with latitude to operate independently within the range of prescribed responsibilities. Supervision may be exercised over clerical staff. A Library Assistant also does related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
Conducts public programming for both children and adults;
Suggests titles for purchase or discard in a subject area;
Notifies and discusses with patrons overdue, lost or damaged materials;
Answers reference questions for library users and staff;
Instructs public in proper use of library resources;
May provide reference and readers’ advisory services;
Works at the circulation desk;
May conduct tours, book talks, multi-media programs, story and picture book hours;
Locates library material for patrons and staff;
May prepare library exhibits and displays;
Processes and prepares library materials for use;
May perform cataloging of library materials;
May train and supervise clerical and volunteer personnel;
May compile bibliographies;
May perform on-line computer searches.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Working knowledge of modern library service principles, practices and procedures; working knowledge of library materials, including on-line data base systems; ability to express ideas clearly and accurately both orally and in writing; ability to direct the work of others; ability to read and comprehend written material; ability to carry out assignments independently; ability to get along well with others; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
(a) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree; or
(b) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s Degree and two (2) years of library experience
ADOPTED: MARCH 25, 1992, CSC Mtg.