The Castleton Public Library is currently seeking applications for a part-time Librarian I for our Youth Services Department.
Rensselaer County Civil Service Commission Official Job Specifications:
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The work involves responsibility for entry level professional librarian duties. Employees in this class are expected to learn the specific applications of professional training by the performance of cuties under the supervision of professional librarians in higher level positions. Instructions may be issued at the beginning of each new assignment. Employees in this class are assigned work progressively ore difficult as their experience in the field broadens. Supervision is exercised over clerical personnel in particular tasks. Performs related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
Provides advisory and guidance services to library users;
Performs original cataloging and classification techniques;
Answers reference questions for library staff and users;
Instructs public on the proper use of library resources;
Performs library work in collection development, including acquisitions, evaluation and selection, discarding, weeding and withdrawal of books and non-book materials;
Performs on line computer searches of databases;
Provides training and conduct of on-line searching to users;
Conducts tours, book talks, multi-media programs, story and picture book hours;
Serves as a liaison for activities with community groups or other libraries;
Prepares statistical and/or narrative reports, memorandum and correspondence;
Supervises the work of and provides direction and guidance to clerical, paraprofessional and volunteer personnel;
Schedules the work of library personnel;
Assists with administering public relations programs;
Keeps informed of professional developments.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Good knowledge of modern principles and practices of library science; good knowledge of on-line database systems; good knowledge of bibliographical tools and sources; working knowledge of modern library organizations, procedures, policies, aims and services; ability to read and comprehend written materials; ability to carry out assignments; ability to work independently; ability to express ideas clearly and effectively both orally and in writing; ability to get along with patrons; ability to comprehend user’s needs quickly and accurately; ability to perform close detail calculations involving basic arithmetic functions; accuracy; skill in the performance of technical library tasks; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Possession of a current New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATIONS: Eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate.
Position Description Specific to Youth Services Department at Castleton Public Library:
The Librarian I, Youth Services Department, is responsible for the direction and management of children’s and young adults’ library services under the direction of the Library Director. She/he works within general library policy to establish procedures and methods to promote library services for youth and to optimize its use by them.
The Librarian supplements her/his education by attending pertinent workshops and courses which will provide professional growth and increased knowledge in the field of librarianship. The Librarian for Youth Services reports to the Director of the Library, shares in developing general library goals and objectives and makes a monthly report to the Director regarding the on-going operations of youth services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Promotes early literacy development.
• Creates and presents programs for toddlers, preschoolers, school-aged children, and young adults which promote various aspects of the collection and draw young people into the library.
• Promotes all aspects of youth services by using such promotional avenues as, social media, community bulletin boards, newsletters, eNewsletters.
• Analyzes the existing youth collection on a continual basis, making purchases for its continued development and oversees the withdrawal of those materials which are out-of -date, in disrepair or have otherwise outlived their usefulness to the collection.
• Increases accessibility of the youth collection through compiling booklists and bibliographies, using displays and other promotional activities.
• Provides readers’ advisory and patron guidance so that library users are able to make optimum use of the collection.
• Ensures that the children’s and young adult’s areas are organized in such a way as to create a physical and psychological environment that encourages use of the collection, including educational and entertainment activities for both areas.
• Trains and supervises work/study students and teen volunteers. Actively recruits volunteers.
• Targets potential sources of additional revenue for the funding of special library programs for young people. Includes the writing of grants and the administration of such from the application process, disbursement, and evaluation.
• Visits schools and day care centers in the Village of Castleton-on-Hudson and the Town of Schodack to promote library services through book talks, storytelling, and readings.
• Serves as librarian-in-charge in the absence of the Library Director.
• Performs other library-related tasks as assigned.
Minimum qualifications: Possession of a current New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate. Preferred qualifications: Experience in an automated library environment, office software, social media and office equipment.
Duties may require intermittent light to moderate physical effort in carrying, lifting, or moving lightweight materials or equipment. Position requires walking or standing approximately half of the time.
Part-time position (12-15 hours per week), primarily weekday afternoons/evenings and Saturdays.
$15.00 per hour
Applications are due by April 22, 2015. Applicants can email their cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com or mail application documents to:
Castleton Public Library
Attn: Melissa Tacke, Library Director
85 South Main Street, Castleton, NY 12033