Residents of Albany or Rensselaer County
- Positive identification (ex. license, other photo ID), proof of current street address, (not a post office box #), and date of birth will be required to register for a new card.
- The signature of a parent or legal guardian is required for children 15 and under.
Not a resident of Albany or Rensselaer County
- Patrons residing outside of Albany and Rensselaer counties will be charged $25 per year per person for a library card.
- An out-of-county card does not guarantee full privileges at Upper Hudson Library System libraries aside from the Castleton Public Library.
- A library card is required to borrow and renew materials. Library cards are non-transferable. The person issued the card is the only person allowed to use the card.
- If a patron forgets his/her card, they may use photo identification, such as a driver's license.
- Most items checked out of a UHLS Library may be returned to any UHLS library. Exceptions: Museum passes, interlibrary loan items from outside of the UHLS library system, and specialty items such as fishing poles and cake pans must be returned to our library.
- There is no limit on the amount of materials which may be borrowed.
- A signed permission slip is required to pick up holds for friends and family members. You must have the library card of the patron whose holds you are picking up.
- Cards are delinquent when $10.00 or more in accumulated damages or fines have accumulated on your card.
- The person issued the card is responsible for reporting it lost or stolen.
- Replacement cards may be issued for $1.00.
- You are responsible for all materials charged to your library card.
Card Holder Responsibilities
- Unpaid fines or overdue material result in a delinquent borrower status. Delinquent borrowers forfeit their borrowing and computer privileges until items are returned and fines are paid. Cards are delinquent when your $10.00 or more in damages or fines have accumulated on your card.
- An outdoor book drop is available 24-hours a day. Materials placed in the drop when the library is closed will be cleared the next business day.
- Borrowers are responsible for the replacement cost of materials which become lost or damaged while out on loan.
- Patrons can be notified by email or phone when their requests are in.
- The library should be informed of any change in name, address, or telephone number as soon as possible.