- Overdue fines are not charged for items checked out at CPL, regardless of what library owns the item, where the item is returned, or through which UHLS library the patron has a library card.
- CPL patrons are responsible for overdue fines for any items they check out at other libraries within the Upper Hudson Library System (UHLS). Fines may be paid at any UHLS library (including CPL) or online through the patron’s library account.
- When an item is significantly overdue, it will be considered lost and a replacement fee will appear on the patron’s account. Once the item is returned, the replacement fee will be removed, no overdue fines will be charged, and the patron may resume borrowing items.
- Fiction and nonfiction books
- Large print books
- Music CDs
- New adult fiction and nonfiction books
- WiFi hotspots
- Fishing Poles
- Metal Detectors
- Home Energy Loss Detectors
- New DVDs
- Cake and Cookie Pans and Baking Accessories
- Museum Passes
- Most items may be renewed up to two times. An item may not be renewed if it has been requested by another patron or if it has exceeded its renewal limit.
- Renewals can be performed at the library, by phone, via email, or through a patron’s account online.
- Patrons must pay a replacement fee for any item that is lost or significantly damaged.
- When an item is too long overdue, it will be considered lost and a replacement fee will appear on the patron’s account. If the patron returns the item, the replacement fee will be removed, no overdue fines will be charged, and the patron may resume borrowing items.
- The thresholds when borrowed items are considered “lost” are as follows:
- Books, audiobooks, music CDs, and DVDs (except new DVDs) – 31 days after due date
- New DVDs – 14 days after due date
- Specialty items (cake pans, fishing poles, etc.) – 14 days after due date
- Museum passes – 6 days after due date
- WiFi hotspots – 6 days after due date
- CPL accepts checks and cash for payments of fees for lost CPL items. Patrons may also pay with a credit card online through their library account.
- For lost items owned by other UHLS libraries, checks must be made out to the library that owns the lost items. CPL cannot accept cash for items owned by other UHLS libraries.
- CPL reserves the right to charge a $25.00 administrative fee for checks returned for insufficient funds .
Approved: May 19, 2014
Updated: January 21, 2020
Updated: April 19, 2021