- Overdue fines are not charged for items checked out at CPL, regardless of what library owns the item, where the item is returned, or through which UHLS library the patron has a library card.
- CPL patrons are responsible for overdue fines for any items they check out at other libraries within the Upper Hudson Library System (UHLS). Fines may be paid at any UHLS library (including CPL) or online through the patron’s library account.
- When an item is significantly overdue, it will be considered lost and a replacement fee will appear on the patron’s account. Once the item is returned, the replacement fee will be removed, no overdue fines will be charged, and the patron may resume borrowing items.
- Fiction and nonfiction books
- Large print books
- Music CDs
- New adult fiction and nonfiction books
- Fishing Poles
- Metal Detectors
- Home Energy Loss Detectors
- All DVDs
- Cake and Cookie Pans and Baking Accessories
- Museum Passes
- Most items may be renewed up to two times. An item may not be renewed if it has been requested by another patron or if it has exceeded its renewal limit.
- To renew materials, present your card at the circulation desk and ask for renewal, call the library, or login to your library account online.
- You must supply your library card number to library staff when calling with a telephone renewal.
- Material from other libraries may be renewed at Castleton Public Library, but are subject to the owning library’s renewal policy.
- Patrons must pay a replacement fee for any item that is lost or significantly damaged.
- When an item is too long overdue, it will be considered lost and a replacement fee will appear on the patron’s account. Once the item is returned, the replacement fee will be removed, no overdue fines will be charged, and the patron may resume borrowing items.
- The thresholds when borrowed items are considered “lost” are as follows:
- Books, audiobooks, music CDs, and DVDs (except new DVDs) – 30 days after due date
- New DVDs – 14 days after due date
- Specialty items (cake pans, fishing poles, etc.) – 14 days after due date
- Museum passes – 6 days after due date
- CPL accepts checks and cash for payments of fines and for lost CPL items. Patrons may also pay for fines and lost items with a credit card online through their library account.
- CPL will only accept checks for lost items from other UHLS libraries. Checks must be made out to the library that owns the lost items.
- All checks returned for insufficient funds will be charged a $25.00 administration fee.
Updated: December 17, 2018