The following policy has been established to ensure the protection, safety and well being of children, and further specifies library rules of conduct:
1. A caregiver must accompany and stay with any preschool children at all times.
2. Children age ten (10) or younger must be accompanied by an adult or responsible adolescent that is at least 15 years of age.
3. Children 11 – 17 years may use the library without caregiver supervision. All library users must adhere to the Patron Conduct Policy. Parents are advised that if their child misbehaves the child may be asked to leave the library premises. Parents must realize that, even in their absence, they are legally responsible for their child’s behavior.
4. Transportation arrangements for pick-up of children (11 – 17 years) must always be made prior to their arrival at the library.
5. Castleton Public Library or its staff does not accept the responsibility to exercise a restrictive role in determining which library resources young people may use or access. It is the responsibility of a child’s parents and/or designated caregiver to monitor the child’s selection and use of library resources including the child’s access to and/or usage of the internet.
Adopted March 21, 2011
Last Updated: May 21, 2018